Friday, December 17, 2010

It's like being a superhero...but not.

For me, depression often manifests itself in extreme irritability. So sometimes, it's like having incredibly heightened senses. Not the cool superhero heightened senses that allows you to hear old ladies screaming for help miles away, but the kind of heightened senses that magnify every irritating thing in your life a million times over. When I brush my hair after getting out of the shower, it feels like my entire head is bruised. Every tug at a tangle is excruciatingly painful. When K2 runs down the hall while K3 is napping, it's like a herd of elephants is stampeding through my old, shaky house. When K1 laughs at an inane knock-knock joke she's told me a million times, it's like she's screaming into my ear. When I am trying to get all 3 kids to the car in the morning the cold feels like needles piercing every uncovered part of my skin. When we're eating dinner I can hear everyone chewing their food like they're inside my head. Everything that happens in my day feels like an attack, and I am constantly trying to ward off the blows.